Sunday, October 29, 2006

It's All About the Pictures

As a reward for making a few inches of progress on the Most Boring Sock, I allowed myself to start a new pair of socks. I'd thought about making some mittens next but then I saw the pair of socks that Kathy (a.k.a. Grumperina) just finished. Go ahead. Check them out. I'll wait for you.

Back? OK. The pattern is a free one from Hello Yarn called Cable Twist Socks. No offense to Hello Yarn but the picture that accompanies the pattern does nothing to show it off. I may be too picky but I just don't think textured patterns show up well at all with variegated yarns. Doesn't Grumperina's version look better? Don't you want to knit a pair for yourself??? Well, needless to say, I did. Here, using Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Bare on US2 needles, are some progress pictures.

First, a picture of the rib un-stretched - not so great, huh?

Now, a look at the sock stretched out:

Isn't that a pretty pattern? I am impressed. It is sooo simple but I still like it. The only modification I made was to use a right twist (RT) instead of the left twist. I find RTs way easier and faster than LTs.

This is the first project that I've started for myself in a while. I don't usually enjoy knitting for myself. First of all, there is absolutely no pressure to get the job done. Secondly, I feel a little selfish when someone asks me who I'm knitting for - it makes me want to make Me Projects at home in a dark corner. I confess - I officially have Gift Knitter's Guilt.

Several people have asked me how it's possible to knit and nurse. Briefly, you hold the baby in the cradle position with one arm, propping up her head in the crook of your arm. The arm holding the baby can really only hold onto the project and keep it steady. Any throwing or picking has to be done with the other hand. It's slower but still possible. Of course, cables, twists and colorwork are hard. So is working on DPNs - you just have to hold the knitting far enough from the baby that there's no danger of poking the little one with a needle.

Speaking of baby, I will leave you with more pics.