Wednesday, May 17, 2006

SECRET PAL QUESTIONS

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I’m not really too picky about yarn. I like just about everything but old school Red Heart. Lately, I’ve been making lots of socks and baby stuff so washable yarn is GREAT. I was depressed when Lion Brand discontinued Cotton-Ease – that was a great washable cotton. I’ve been knitting a bunch with Knit Picks yarn – that’s some of my favorite stuff too.


2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

Several colored vases. I’m not very good about putting needles back into a case so the vases are easier for me.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

Six years. Intermediate to advanced.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Yes. An Amazon and Knit Picks wish lists. If you want the KP one, I'll have to email it to you. They aren't as sophisticated as Amazon.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

I’m actually allergic to some body care products. As for scents, I like subtle ones.


6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Are you kidding? I'm pregnant! Twizzlers. Or anything with dark chocolate. I'm vegan so I don't eat dairy products. It's not an ethical thing - I'm just a vegetarian with a dairy allergy.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I sew out of necessity but that is all.


8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

Yes, I can play mp3s. I like everything but country.


9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

I don’t really have a favorite color. I love bright colors. I don’t really care for variegated yarn but that’s my only real color preference.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I am married with 2 dogs and a baby due in August.


11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Scarves, hats and mittens but no ponchos.


12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

It varies seasonally. In the warmer mos, I knit more baby stuff. When it gets cool, I pull out socks and mittens and sweaters.

13. What are you knitting right now?

Socks and baby sweaters.


14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

You bet!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

I prefer straight needles but I use circs all the time too. My needles are either wood or plastic – I lose stitches on metal needles.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Nope.


17. How did you learn to knit?

My brother taught me.


18. How old is your oldest UFO?

First of all, I’m defining UFO as a project I still intend to finish… so by that definition, I’d say 6 mos.


19. What is your favorite holiday?

Fourth of July. I love summer and summer tomatoes!


20. Is there anything that you collect?

Other than yarn? Nope. I’m actively trying to clear out my house of junk. My husband is a pack rat. He’s the collector.


21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I love all the Phildar magazines but they’re hard to get unless you order them directly, which I do once a year, maybe. I could knit Knit Picks Shine yarn from now until the end of time. I’ve thought about getting the latest Nancy Bush sock book because I love Folk Socks. I haven’t yet because I feel guilty buying it when there are more socks I want to make from Folk Socks. For the last year, I’ve been on a major stash diet (haven’t bought yarn or books since Xmas) so I covet just about anything at this point! J

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I’d like to learn to steek but I’m way to chicken now. I have a Latvian Mitten book that I’ve been meaning to try out too. I love fair isle mittens.


23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
You bet. Ankle: 7.75". Heel - toe: 9.5"


24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

December 3.