Sunday, February 18, 2007

Lapland Mittens from Folk Mittens

While I still have no knitting progress to speak of, I thought I'd post about my lamest UFO ever (please excuse the background of diapers!) Check this out: BOTH mittens are done. One even has a thumb. The only thing remaining is another thumb. These mittens are two years old. That's right, two years. I estimate it would take me about 30 minutes to finish the second thumb. Why haven't I? I have to find the yarn, the book and some size 3 DPNs. I'm a little behind on work right now so they'll have to wait a little longer. I intend on bringing these to my knitting group next weekend so you can expect a long overdue FO post next week about these babies!


Yarn: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes
Pattern: Lapland Mittens from Folk Mittens
Needles: US 3

The other day, I was looking down at my hands and I noticed a dark indentation on my right index finger. On further inspection, I noticed another one on my left pinky finger. I pointed it out to Aaron, wondering aloud what on earth could have caused the marks. He looked at me blankly. "Knitting," he said. Of course. How could I have missed that one? So it's official: I am the biggest dork ever! My friends have been purporting this for years.
This is how I hold my knitting when knitting English style:

I wrap the yarn around my pinky when knitting Continental style, which explains the mark on my left hand. Seven years of knitting has left its mark, I suppose! Am I alone in this? Do you all have knitting marks?

Finally, my SP Deb sent a really cool final package, complete with sock yarn and Beatrix Potter books for baby Beatrix!!! She's already interested in Peter Rabbit's ears! Thanks so much, Deb! I had a great time with SP - I hope you did too!