Friday, December 02, 2005

Baby Sweaters

Baby sweaters are some of my favorite things to knit. They are colorful, cute and fast. I've recently become smitten with
Knit Picks Shine
for baby sweaters. It is 60% pima cotton/40% modal, machine washable and so soft. I think it beats any cotton Rowan has ever made. It doesn't split like most cottons and yields a very clean, crisp fabric. Theses are several baby tank tops I made from Debbie Bliss' Baby Knits Book. About 220 yds required for each top. I used scraps leftover from another project.


This second baby sweater was also knit from the same book. I do not know how to embroider and found both the book's instructions and online instructions impossible to understand. I pleaded with my husband for help because he has a very mathematical mind. He quickly learned how to embroider specifically for this sweater. I was very impressed. :-)


Finally, the third picture is of a current project - the kimono from the aforementioned book. I just love this book, by the way. It is also Knit Picks Shine and will have a tie around the back once I finish it. There is a set of trousers to go along with this particular pattern but I can't believe that any knit trousers would retain their shape (especially cotton) or allow for much movement so I will omit them.

These sweaters will go to a family friend whose wife is expecting their first child in February. I am so excited that someone I know is having a baby because it is a rare event for me to actually give a baby sweater to a friend. Often, I save a stack of baby sweaters for charitable auctions.