Monday, December 12, 2005

Convalescence Knitting...

I've been doing a lot of it because the wisdom teeth healing process seems to have ground to a halt. I have an appointment with the oral surgeon today. Hopefully, things will get better so that I can focus on final exams this week. In the meantime, I have a lot of FOs to show for my week of inactivity!

First up, the nearly finished Lapland Mittens! The 2nd one still needs a thumb but since these aren't a holiday gift, they're currently on hold. It's hard to see but there's a light green piece of waste yarn knitted in where the thumb is supposed to go. I like using peasant thumbs in mittens because they are much more fitted and keep the wearer warmer. This first picture is of the palm side:

The second view is of the back of the mittens.
The next project I've been working on is a pair of curly-toed elf slippers from Melanie Falick's Weekend Knitting (one of my favorite books). The curl needs to be secured and I have to add fuzzy trim along the tops still but these were QUICK knits! I made each in under two hours. I used Knit Picks Sierra doubled. One of my cousins is coming to visit next weekend with her 7 year-old and 4 year-old boys so I'm making the little one a red pair and the older one a blue pair. The 7 year-old has a real dramatic streak in him and he loves to play dress up so I hope these won't be too juvenile for him. Any suggestions on what color trim I should use???

Next, I got a start on holiday knitting (yes, I'm just now starting...) and made a simple, easy black hat for my stepdad. He has a large head and allegedly can never find good hats. It is superwash wool so he can wear it on his morning runs and then wash it without a problem.

Finally, I returned to a hat pattern that drove me batty last winter: a brioche hat from the weekend knitting book. I did some research online and found that I wasn't the only one who struggled with it. There's a very important YO every other row that will mess the pattern up if left out. Also, I don't care much for the suggested cast-on method so I used a simple 2-color cast-on that is much cleaner. Here is a progress photo (note the lazy dog in the background):
I hope I'll have this done in the next day or so in spite of exams. I bribe myself to study with knitting so I'll make a little bit of progress this week.